Saturday, February 19, 2011

Outta the Rut Readathon Post 1:

Well, it is currently 1:11pm and I have not read a single page. I am off to a great start! ;)

I have excuses though! Yesterday when I got home from school I was absolutely exhausted and my brain was throbbing. A couple hours later, a full on migraine was happening. I ended up crawling into bed a little before 8pm and made the husband rub my neck and shoulders (I get CRAZY big knots in my neck and shoulders when I get migraines). Thankfully, I drifted off to sleep.

I was up this morning at 7 and helped Matt get out the door to go to work. The head was still throbbing angrily, so I took a lot more drugs and nestled into bed for a few hours watching Friends until my mom texted me.

A Borders store near us is closing and their sale was starting this morning. So, I got dressed and off we went. We got there 10 minutes before the store opened and there were a LOT of people there waiting to get in. Once in the store, I headed straight towards the YA section to see if some of the new books were marked down. Unfortunately, all the books in the store were only 20% off and since I can get some of those hardcovers and such cheaper online, I let them be. I spent the rest of the time combing the fiction shelves and looking for some classics that I have had a hard time finding. I ended up deciding on 17 books (yeah, a lot) that were mass market size. Again, since everything was already 20% off, some of the bigger books were still a little pricey. Since they will eventually be marked down more, I am going to wait it out to see what I can get them for later (Oh, you'll see what I ended up buying in tomorrow's post).

I did end up with some great things that I have been searching for and having a hard time finding, plus some classics titles that will be fun reads in addition to my project. I have recently been debating making a secondary list because there is SO MUCH MORE I want to read and a lot of these books would be my choices.

In any case, it was a successful couple of hours spent in a crazy bookstore. It did make me sad to see all those books waiting for a good home. I also felt bad for the workers-knowing some will be out of a job. And of course, who likes to see a bookstore closing its doors?

I can argue that my craziness is buying books is because I want to support my bookstores. And while that is certainly true, we all know its because I have that disease (you know, the "I want it so I can read it" disease). But I am glad I could continue to make purchases. And I will continue to support my local bookstores, much to my husband's dismay.

Anyway, now that I am home and my headache is nearly gone (I can still feel some pressure in the back of my neck), I can focus on doing some reading, rather than just adding MORE books to my TBR pile. Although, I do need to put all of these away before hubby comes home and kills me.

First up in terms of reading is Oliver Twist. I'll be back when I finish it. :)

For those of you participating or reading this wonderful Saturday afternoon, how is it going so far? Are you procrastinating like I am? If so, GET TO READING PEOPLE! ;)

7 comments:

  1. Ugh I hope the migraine goes away completely and very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much fun this morning. Thanks for going with me.

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch! I'm glad you're feeling better. I haven't done much reading today, but my goal is to catch up on Oliver Twist and War and Peace. I'm so behind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Surprisingly, not procrastinating (too much). I've been reading very slowly, however. I keep re-reading passages and stopping to think about what I've just read or, more frequently, stopping while my mind wanders off on an unrelated tangent. It may be time to switch books.

    Hope you're having fun reading Oliver Twist!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 20 % off seems a little stingy for a store that is already closing. I realize that sounds kind of mean but, well you know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our Borders here closed this past summer. We were very sad about that, but realistically, I know we all check out books at Borders and end up buying them online. The 20% off still can't compare to online prices--which is why many Borders stores are shutting down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awh migraines suck :/
    I hope you were able to get some good reading time in!

    ReplyDelete